Andrew Walsh and I are very pleased to announce that the Library A to Z is ready to launch.
The Library A to Z is focused on free promotional and advocacy materials for use by libraries and their supporters, as well as a means of highlighting the economic and social value of libraries to politicians at both local and national levels to encourage continued investment. The key message highlights that modern library services are much more than just buildings containing books – they provide services that support the development and well-being of individuals, the community and the economy. The Library A to Z was funded by 155 generous backers, including key sponsor The Library Campaign, via a Kickstarter campaign during May 2014. We raised £4,543, which was more than twice the basic funding goal.
With this money the organisers commissioned freelance illustrator Josh Filhol to produce full colour images depicting the words that reflect the great work, activities and values of libraries. These illustrations are used as the basis for a range of promotional and advocacy materials including posters, cards and a full colour book. As well as the illustrated library alphabet, the book also includes quotes from library users and a chapter about the positive impacts of libraries.
More details can be found on the new Library A to Z website at http://libraryatoz.org.
The Library A to Z materials including full colour illustrations, posters, book and greeting cards are available for anyone to freely download and use for promotional and advocacy purposes here. Unless otherwise stated, these materials are available to re-use and adapt under a creative commons licence (cc by 4.0). The posters are available as editable Adobe Illustrator files.
The launch of the Library A to Z will happen during the week 17th – 22nd November, when we will send packs including copies of books and other materials to local, national and international politicians. The aim of this action is to highlight the continued importance and value of library services, to encourage continued investment. Prior to this we will also be sending out packs and a press-release to media organisations.
In preparation for this launch we are asking if you could help us get the message out there in any of the following ways:
(1) Think about who you could send/hand-over books, greetings cards etc to yourselves during the launch. For example, this could be a your local MP, or a local councillor with responsibility for libraries (or even all of your local councillors).
(2) Send information about the Library A to Z to your local press and media organisations.
(3) Let your local library service know that the Library A to Z has posters and other materials that can be used freely for promotional purposes.
(4) Promote the Library A to Z online via your own website, blog, e-newsletters, social media accounts in the lead up to the launch. We think it would be particularly effective if you could do this during the launch week, 17-22 November. We are also using the hashtag #LibraryAtoZ to promote it on social media etc.
(5) Promote it offline too – newsletters, library meetings, magazines.
Please don’t feel you are restricted to promoting it in these ways – if you can think of anything else you could do to get the message out there please feel free to do it and let us know. It may be something we haven’t thought of.
We are able to offer a limited amount of professionally printed material (greetings cards, stickers, badges) you can use to promote the Library A to Z during the launch. If you’d like any please let us know as soon as possible via this contact form, providing a delivery address as well as a note about how you plan to use the materials. We would need time to order and distribute the materials before the launch week and we’d want to make sure you had it in time for the launch. Don’t forget there are also materials on the Library A to Z website that you can download and print off yourselves if you prefer. There is also a link on the site where you can order professionally printed materials yourself for a charge. Please note that we have kept costs to a minimum and any profit that is made from them is put back into ordering more Library A to Z materials.
Thank you for your support.